ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin is our all-natural highly bioavailable, 3 R, 3’R zeaxanthin for use in dietary supplements, functional foods and beverage.
What is Zeaxanthin?
Zeaxanthin is a yellow-orange carotenoid pigment found in fruits and vegetables such as peppers, corn and oranges. Zeaxanthin may be more important than lutein in protecting the ocular tissue from oxidative damage.
- Zeaxanthin is the primary pigment found in the center of the macula.
- The human macula preferentially accumulates zeaxanthin over lutein at a rate of 2.4 times more zeaxanthin than lutein.
- Zeaxanthin is selectively deposited at the center of the macula where protection from oxidation is most critical.
- • Zeaxanthin is found in blood serum at a 1:4 ratio of zeaxanthin to lutein.
How does Zeaxanthin affect eye health?
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) is the cause of vision loss in more than 25 million people world-wide and is the leading cause of blindness in people over 55 years of age. Scientific evidence indicates a strong correlation between high blood serum levels of zeaxanthin and a reduced risk of cataract formation and AMD. Recent data suggest that zeaxanthin may be the most powerful antioxidant found in the eye.
There are two ways in which zeaxanthin promotes ocular health:
- Zeaxanthin acts as a filter by absorbing blue light that initiates generation of oxyradicals that place photo-oxidative stress on the retina.
- Zeaxanthin acts as an antioxidant by quenching singlet oxygen and reactive radicals that damage photoreceptor cells.
Why should Zeaxanthin be included in the diet?
Research suggests that 6 mg of the xanthophylls lutein and zeaxanthin per day is associated with a reduced risk for AMD. However, the average daily dietary intake of xanthophylls is only about 1.0 to 3.0 mg. Because the body is not capable of synthesizing zeaxanthin, filling this gap without a change in dietary habits calls for a highly bioavailable nutritional supplement, such as ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin.
Why should ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin be the choice for your formulation?
ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin is derived from paprika, a natural whole food source and a long established component of the human diet.
- Unlike chemically synthesized zeaxanthin, ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin is an excellent source of a broad spectrum of vegetable carotenoids and antioxidant nutrients.
- ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin is a GRAS substance (Generally Recognized as Safe).
- Unlike other sources of zeaxanthin, ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin may be used in functional foods and beverages at levels that impart color. ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin is exempt from color certification in the United States.
- ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin is the natural way to optimize the ratio of zeaxanthin to lutein in your eye health formula by replicating the ratios found in the macula or in blood serum.
- ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin license provides access to key intellectual property.
- ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin has proven bioavailability. Results of an oral dose study of 10mg zeaxanthin daily for 28 days conclude that ZeaGold® Natural Zeaxanthin is highly bioavailable.